Em formação

História de Portland, Maine

História de Portland, Maine


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Portland, a maior cidade e porto marítimo mais importante do Maine, está localizada em Casco Bay, 110 milhas a nordeste de Boston. Portland está situada em uma península de três milhas de comprimento e uma milha de largura, bem como outra península a leste (anteriormente a cidade independente de Deering) e alguns territórios e ilhas do continente. Portland foi colonizada pela primeira vez em 1632, mas sofreu ataques indianos em 1675 e 1690. Durante a Guerra da Independência, os britânicos bombardearam e incendiaram Portland, mas ela foi reconstruída em 1786. Main ganhou independência de Massachusetts em 1820 e Portland tornou-se a capital do Maine, mantendo essa posição até 1831. A atividade marítima de Portland diminuiu após World Primeira Guerra, mas depois revivida. O poeta Henry Wadsworth Longfellow nasceu em Portland em 1807, no que hoje é chamado de Casa Wadsworth-Longfellow, que foi construída por volta de 1785 por seu avô, General Peleg Wadsworth. A Maine Historical Society mantém a casa como um museu. Curtis nasceu em Portland em 1850 e partiu aos 16 anos para buscar fortuna. Suas duas ressalvas eram que fosse construído pela Austin Organ Company de Hartford e que fosse um memorial a Hermann Kotzschmar. Kotzschmar, um imigrante alemão que foi por 47 anos o organista da Primeira Igreja Paroquial Unitária Universalista em Portland, era um amigo próximo da família Curtis quando veio pela primeira vez a Portland em 1849, tanto que o nome completo do editor era Cyrus Hermann Kotzschmar Curtis. O Órgão Memorial Kotzschmar continua sendo uma característica da Prefeitura de Portland até hoje. O Hospital Geral de Main foi inaugurado em 1874 com 40 leitos. O Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary surgiu em 1890, e o Children's Hospital em 1908. Em 1951, os três se fundiram para se tornar o Maine Medical Center. A Diocese Católica de Portland abriu o Queen's Hospital em 1918 para cuidar das vítimas da epidemia de gripe de 1918. Era administrado pelas Irmãs da Misericórdia e mais tarde se tornou o Hospital Mercy. O Museu de Arte de Portland foi fundado em 1882 e é a maior arte pública museu no Maine. O Maine College of Art, fundado em 1882 como um adjunto do museu de arte, é a mais antiga instituição educacional de artes no Maine.


História de Portland, Maine - História

Sobre Falmouth - Origens Coloniais

"Um mundo no limite": de Almouchiquois a New Casco

A história de Falmouth começa com os nativos americanos que se estabeleceram na região há cerca de 14.000 anos, após o derretimento das geleiras no final da última era do gelo. Evidências arqueológicas sugerem que a agricultura veio pela primeira vez à região entre os anos 1300-1400 EC. Na época em que o explorador francês Samuel de Champlain fez contato com os europeus na área em 1605, ele identificou as pessoas que viviam entre o rio Androscoggin e o cabo Ann, em Massachusetts, como o & # 8220Almouchiquois. & # 8221 Dentro do Almouchiquois, um capitão de banda semi-autônomo John Smith chamou o & # 8220Aucocisco & # 8221 de Baía Casco habitada. O explorador inglês Christopher Levett observou em 1623 que seu líder (conhecido como Sagamore) Skitterygusset residia em Presumpscot Falls. Os Almouchiquois sofreram duas tragédias antes da colonização inglesa, o que impediu os estudiosos de saber muito sobre eles. Primeiro, a guerra com Micmacs ao norte em um conflito que os estudiosos mais tarde rotularam de Guerra Tarrentina trouxe derrota e morte para os índios do sul do Maine. Em segundo lugar, uma epidemia entre 1616-19 ceifou a vida de mais de 90% da população indígena da Nova Inglaterra e # 8217s. Quando os ingleses começaram a colonizar a baía de Casco na década de 1630, apenas restos do Almouchiquois, de língua algonquina, permaneceram na área.

Os primeiros anos de Falmouth foram marcados por extrema violência, uma vez que ficava em uma zona de fronteira entre europeus e nativos americanos. A baía de Casco representou o ponto mais setentrional da colonização inglesa até o século XVIII. Poderosas tribos Abenaki que se estendiam pelo Canadá francês viviam a oeste e ao norte de Falmouth. Numerosas guerras entre 1675-1763 entre ingleses, franceses e nativos americanos raramente deixaram Falmouth ileso da violência. Os ingleses abandonaram Casco Bay por duas vezes sob a pressão dos ataques franceses e indianos em 1676 e 1690.

Arthur Mackworth foi o primeiro residente europeu da cidade & # 8217, construindo uma casa na década de 1630 no rio Presumpscot. Posteriormente, os colonizadores ingleses seguiram o exemplo de Mackworth & # 8217s, estabelecendo-se em Presumpscot, próximo ao grosso da população inglesa na península conhecida como Casco (hoje Portland). As fronteiras da atual Falmouth & # 8217s eram conhecidas como & # 8220New Casco & # 8221 e era um vilarejo dentro do assentamento maior de Casco. A atual cidade de Falmouth seria conhecida como & # 8220New Casco & # 8221 até que Portland se separou em 1786.

Embora a cidade fosse conhecida como New Casco, foi durante esse período inicial que o nome Falmouth foi associado pela primeira vez à área. Em 1658, a Colônia da Baía de Massachusetts assumiu o controle do Maine, apesar da resistência local. Massachusetts renomeou os assentamentos Casco Bay & # 8220Falmouth & # 8221 após uma importante batalha na Guerra Civil Inglesa que ocorreu em Falmouth, Inglaterra. Massachusetts provavelmente escolheu o nome & # 8220Falmouth & # 8221 para comemorar a conquista do Maine, refletindo simbolicamente a vitória das forças parlamentares sobre os realistas em Falmouth, Inglaterra em 1646. Comumente conhecido como & # 8220Falmouth na baía de Casco & # 8221 para distingui-lo de Falmouth em Cape Cod, os limites originais da cidade incluíam Cape Elizabeth, South Portland, Westbrook, Portland e a cidade atual

Em um esforço para melhorar as relações com os nativos americanos locais, os ingleses construíram um forte chamado New Casco em 1700, como herança de Abenakis locais, que desejavam um lugar conveniente para comercializar e consertar suas armas. A localização do forte seria hoje em frente ao Cemitério de Pine Grove na Rota 88. Um encontro de 1701 entre Abenaki-Pigwackets locais e oficiais coloniais de Massachusetts cimentou a aliança entre os dois povos. Um par de marcos de pedra foram erguidos como símbolos dessa amizade. As ilhas vizinhas de Two Brothers, ao largo da costa, mais tarde receberam o nome deste monumento há muito esquecido. Infelizmente, a paz não duraria quando a Guerra da Rainha Anne e # 8217 estourou na região dois anos depois. Os franceses enviaram Micmac, Mohawk e milícias francesas para invadir a costa do Maine e interromper essa nova aliança inglesa com os povos nativos do sul do Maine. O governador de Massachusetts, Joseph Dudley, viajou para New Casco em junho de 1703 em uma tentativa vã de manter os nativos americanos fora da guerra. Seis semanas depois, o Forte New Casco foi sitiado pelas forças invasoras nativas americanas e francesas. A chegada de um navio armado de Massachusetts salvou os ingleses amontoados dentro do Forte New Casco. A paz voltou em 1713, mas três anos depois Massachusetts ordenou que o forte fosse demolido. A destruição do Forte New Casco simbolizou o abandono de Massachusetts & # 8217 de sua política de buscar a amizade dos nativos americanos locais.

Enquanto os franceses controlassem o Canadá, viver a leste do rio Presumpscot em New Casco era uma proposta perigosa. Apenas uma família vivia na cidade em 1725. O crescimento da população inglesa e a derrota francesa na Guerra do Rei George e # 8217s (1744-48) mudaram a fronteira entre os nativos americanos e ingleses para o norte, para Midcoast Maine. Em 1753, New Casco tinha 62 famílias e era grande o suficiente para formar sua própria paróquia. No entanto, os nativos americanos continuaram a visar New Casco, testemunhado de forma mais vívida por um ataque em 1748 e a morte do residente John Burnal em 1751.

A queda da cidade de Quebec para os britânicos em 1759 removeu os franceses da América do Norte, privando grupos nativos americanos próximos de um importante aliado e encerrou formalmente os 130 anos anteriores de inquietação ou guerra aberta em Falmouth. Com os franceses não sendo mais capazes de fornecer armas para a resistência dos nativos americanos, pouco atrapalhou a expansão inglesa em seu território. As populações nativas americanas locais também foram drasticamente reduzidas por doenças, com a maioria migrando para o norte e o oeste para se juntar às comunidades nativas maiores onde permanecem até hoje. O período colonial determinou que os futuros habitantes de Falmouth estariam falando inglês, não francês ou algonquino.


Maine History Online

Imagens da Maine Historical Society

Dezenas de milhares de estivadores, formalmente conhecidos como estivadores, trabalharam nos cais da orla de Portland durante a maior parte dos últimos 150 anos.

Muitos imigrantes irlandeses, em sua maioria trabalhadores não qualificados, tiveram seu início econômico como estivadores. Esses empregos forneceram a base sobre a qual eles poderiam construir o futuro de suas famílias em Portland.

O trabalho era difícil, o clima de inverno muitas vezes brutal e a natureza instável da mão de obra problemática, apresentando desafios tanto para os estivadores quanto para suas famílias. Mas, também apresentou a eles uma oportunidade.

Ao longo da orla marítima de Portland, grande parte do trabalho manual pesado no início do século 19 estava sendo realizado por uma pequena, mas importante comunidade negra de estivadores, muitos vivendo na base de Munjoy Hill.

Alguns desses trabalhadores vieram para Portland seguindo o comércio de melaço das Índias Ocidentais. Ao importar grandes quantidades dessa substância pegajosa escura, Portland se tornou um fornecedor notável de açúcar refinado, especialmente por meio da refinaria de açúcar J. B. Brown na orla marítima.

Outros subprodutos do melaço eram rum e outras formas de álcool, destilados na cervejaria McGlinchy e outras empresas legais e semilegais em toda a cidade.

A história marítima de Portland e sua proeminência comercial mudaram drasticamente em 1853, quando a cidade foi ligada por trem a Montreal pela Ferrovia Atlantic e Saint Lawrence (mais tarde conhecida como Grand Trunk).

Esse era o sonho de John A. Poor, que via o potencial de Portland como um grande porto mundial conectando, por navios a vapor oceânicos e ferroviários, os mercados do continente americano aos centros marítimos da Europa. Poor acreditava que Portland poderia eventualmente rivalizar com as principais cidades do Báltico.

O desenvolvimento de Portland como o principal porto de inverno do Canadá foi significativo, embora nunca tenha chegado ao nível da visão de grandeza de Poor's. A principal mercadoria manuseada pelo porto de Portland foram os grãos canadenses, especialmente de novembro a abril, quando o Rio Saint Lawrence foi congelado, tornando efetivamente Montreal e Quebec cidades sem litoral.

A partir de 1853, grandes navios a vapor chegaram a Portland com regularidade crescente durante o inverno, dando aos trabalhadores costeiros um trabalho estável e, eventualmente, cada vez mais lucrativo. Essa conexão ferroviária coincidiu com a chegada da imigração em grande escala da Irlanda nos anos imediatamente seguintes à devastadora fome da batata no final da década de 1840.

Embora muitos dos primeiros colonos irlandeses do Maine tivessem se originado do norte do país, principalmente presbiterianos escoceses-irlandeses do Ulster, os novos imigrantes da era da fome vieram em grande parte das regiões mais pobres do oeste da Irlanda. A maioria dos imigrantes pós-fome em Portland veio do condado de Galway, com sua forte e sobrevivente tradição da língua irlandesa (gaélico).

Em um processo conhecido como "migração em cadeia", um membro da família chegou e abriu o caminho para que outros se juntassem, geralmente enviando "dinheiro da América" ​​para ajudar com o custo da passagem em navios a vapor.

Um lugar onde esses novos imigrantes irlandeses poderiam encontrar trabalho em Portland era à beira-mar. Em meados do século 19, os irlandeses já haviam substituído os estivadores negros. À medida que o trabalho se tornava mais regular e atraente, pelo menos nos meses de inverno, os estivadores irlandeses tentaram formalizar e garantir suas condições de trabalho. Na década de 1860, uma associação litorânea irlandesa estava exigindo salários mais altos, especialmente durante os tempos de boom em torno da Guerra Civil.

Em 1880, esses estivadores, em sua maioria irlandeses, incorporaram-se à Sociedade Benevolente de Portland Longshoremen (PLSBS). A maioria dos membros fundadores do PLSBS eram irlandeses e muitos deles eram principalmente falantes de irlandês - gaélico. Um dos estatutos da PLSBS afirmava que & quotNenhum homem de cor deve ser membro desta sociedade. & Quot

A transformação do trabalho marítimo de preto para verde havia ocorrido e não haveria mais volta. O anti-racismo negro não era exclusivo de Portland, mas era irônico, dada a história inicial dos negros em sua orla, bem como o fato de que o bispo católico da Diocese de Portland na época, James Augustine Healy (1875-1900), era meio negro e meio irlandês.

Os imigrantes irlandeses se reuniam em dois bairros principais e nas ruas que os conectavam ao longo da orla de Portland: o extremo oeste, mais tarde conhecido como Gorham's Corner, com sua paróquia de Saint Dominic (a mais antiga Igreja Católica de Portland, datando de 1833) e o extremo leste, melhor conhecido como Munjoy Hill, com sua Catedral da Imaculada Conceição (1866).

A natureza paroquial da vida em Galway, com diferenças regionais refletindo distâncias geográficas aparentemente pequenas, havia migrado intacta para Portland. Freqüentemente, as crianças de um desses bairros mal conheciam as ruas ou os residentes do outro, embora estivessem a menos de um quilômetro de distância.

Como muitos estivadores irlandeses de Portland tinham sobrenomes Galway semelhantes, como Joyce, Connolly, Folan / Foley, O'Malley ou Gorham, um traço cultural comum na Irlanda, o uso de apelidos para aqueles com nomes de família comuns, sobreviveu em Portland .

Alguns dos apelidos com raízes gaélicas são Bád ní ngean (novelo de lã), Bartla Tadhg (Bartley Timothy), Cockaneeney (Cac an éinín, ou excrementos de pássaros), greenhorn geimhridh (imigrante que chega no inverno), Paddy na gcnoc (Patrick das colinas), e Philipín (pequeno ou jovem, Philip).

Outros apelidos muitas vezes eram bastante cômicos, como Homem Médio, Virgem Abençoada, Pratos Quebrados, Telhado Furado, Pernas de Papel, Senador Cleghorn, Cachorro Peludo, Osso de Sopa e Ya-Ya.

A maioria dos estivadores era católica romana. Todos os bispos desde que a Diocese de Portland foi criada em 1855 tinham um sobrenome irlandês identificável, como Bacon, Healy, O'Connell, Walsh, Murray, McCarthy, Feeney, Gerety, O'Leary, Gerry e Malone.

No século 19, havia várias organizações sociais, culturais e políticas irlandesas em Portland, incluindo a Portland Longshoremen's Benevolent Society, cujo pico de adesão de 1.366 foi registrado em 1919.

No início da década de 1920, porém, começou um declínio constante de trabalho e número de membros. Na década de 1920, o governo canadense atualizou os portos de Halifax, Nova Scotia e Saint John, New Brunswick, para lidar com "mercadorias canadenses dos portos canadenses". entre 1853 e 1923.

Apesar de um breve renascimento positivo na carga marítima devido à Segunda Guerra Mundial, o trabalho marítimo de Portland continuou a diminuir. Eventualmente, Portland tornou-se conhecido essencialmente como um porto de petróleo, com o duto de Portland lidando com carregamentos de petróleo para Montreal. O petróleo não era trabalhoso, entretanto, e os estivadores procuraram sem sucesso por commodities para embarcar desse porto de águas profundas, ou por importações que pudessem ser tratadas em Portland.

No início do século 21, o porto de Portland havia se tornado um recurso natural sem uma função claramente definida.


Lugares importantes da história afro-americana de Portland

As Comunidades Negras de Portland moldam a história, as paisagens e a arquitetura da cidade desde a fundação da cidade. Como uma grande cidade portuária, Portland era tanto uma parada da Underground Railroad quanto o lar de uma próspera comunidade de negros livres que trabalhavam na orla marítima ou nas ferrovias comerciais. Alguns dos edifícios que contam suas histórias permanecem de pé, principalmente no India Street Neighbourhood, que foi fundado por afro-americanos livres que prosperaram na economia marítima de Portland. Esses edifícios são apresentados abaixo.

A redação desses lugares históricos é baseada nas informações das seguintes publicações. Verifique estes recursos valiosos para uma leitura mais aprofundada:

Em setembro de 2017, os Recursos Afro-Americanos do Século 19 foram adicionados à lista de Lugares em Perigo dos Marcos de Greater Portland. Recursos e edifícios históricos sobreviventes contam a história dos cidadãos afro-americanos que contribuíram para a história robusta de Portland. Três áreas na península da cidade foram historicamente o lar de residentes negros de Portland: Newbury Street perto da Abyssinian Meeting House, Lafayette Street em Munjoy Hill perto de Livery Stable de Mansfield e no bairro de St. John-Valley Street perto de Union Station, um importante empregador para muitas das famílias afro-americanas da vizinhança. Todas as três áreas historicamente associadas à comunidade afro-americana de Portland estão se reconstruindo rapidamente ou prontas para serem reconstruídas. Nos esforços de preservação até o momento, essas moradias modestas e edifícios institucionais associados à história negra de Portland foram em grande parte ofuscados por edifícios maiores e mais elaborados.

The Abyssinian Meeting House, 73 Newbury Street, (1828): Construída em 1828 como uma casa de culto, a Abyssinian Meeting House é a terceira casa de reunião afro-americana mais antiga dos Estados Unidos e tem importância histórica local, estadual e nacional. O Abyssinian tornou-se o centro da vida social e política da comunidade afro-americana de Portland no século XIX. Quando o Grande Incêndio estava devastando a cidade, a comunidade que dependia do Abissínio se reuniu para cobrir o telhado com mantas molhadas e salvá-lo com sucesso das chamas. O prédio serviu de igreja e escola pública segregada, além de salão para shows, jantares e entretenimento. Seus membros e pregadores incluíam ex-escravos, líderes do movimento Underground Railroad e defensores declarados da abolição da escravidão nos Estados Unidos. A Meeting House foi fechada em 1917, convertida em apartamentos em 1924 e, finalmente, abandonada e assumida pela cidade de Portland para pagar os impostos atrasados. Em 1998, o Comitê para Restaurar o Abissínio comprou a propriedade e iniciou sua restauração. O comitê continua fazendo progressos na restauração, bem como aumentando a conscientização sobre este edifício de importância nacional. Para mais informações ou para se envolver, acesse o site e entre em contato com o comitê. Para ver os pontos de referência do Abissínio, clique aqui.

The Abraham Niles House, 77 Newbury Street (c. 1840): Construída ao lado da casa Abyssinian Meeting, a Abraham Niles House também é uma sobrevivente do Grande Incêndio. Abraham Niles foi um marinheiro e um dos primeiros membros da igreja vizinha. A família Niles viveu na casa até o final do século XIX.

The North School, 248 Congress Street (1867): Após o Grande Incêndio de 1866, a Escola do Norte foi construída para educar todas as crianças da vizinhança, incluindo a grande população de crianças negras que viviam no bairro da India Street e em Munjoy Hill. Embora muitos dos professores da North School fossem descendentes de imigrantes irlandeses, o primeiro professor negro de Portland supostamente lecionava na North School também.
Clique para obter mais informações sobre as escolas históricas de Portland.

Reuben Ruby House, 81 Newbury Street (c. 1853-56): Este edifício foi alterado, perdendo muitas das suas características históricas, mas não o seu significado histórico. Um dos primeiros ocupantes foi Reuben Ruby, fundador da Sociedade Antiescravidão do Maine. Nascido em Gray, Maine, ele foi o principal condutor de ferrovias subterrâneas em Portland e trabalhou em importantes publicações antiescravistas em Boston e Maine. Ele tinha um estande de hack de sucesso, cuja localização anterior está marcada na Portland Freedom Trail. Ele comprou e doou o terreno para a Abyssinian Meeting House, bem como financiou sua construção. Seu filho, William Wilberforce Ruby, foi o bombeiro que primeiro alertou a cidade sobre o início do Grande Incêndio de 1866 e liderou sua comunidade para proteger o telhado do Abissínio durante o incêndio. Para obter mais informações sobre William Wilberforce Ruby, leia o artigo do Portland Press Herald sobre o Grande Incêndio.

Cemitério do Leste 224 Congresso (1668): Alguns membros da Família Ruby estão enterrados no Cemitério Leste. Este cemitério é o local de descanso final para muitos dos primeiros afro-americanos de Portland. Perto da cerca da Rua Mountfort, há uma seção do cemitério que foi originalmente destinada aos negros. Na primeira metade do séc. XIX, muitas pessoas proeminentes do movimento antiescravidão de Portland, negros e brancos, foram enterrados neste cemitério. Para obter mais informações sobre suas vidas, leia Portland Freedom Trail ou entre em contato com Spirits Alive, o grupo de amigos que pesquisa, restaura e defende o Cemitério Oriental.

John and Mary Parrs House, 16 Federal Street (1870): Embora esta casa tenha sido alterada várias vezes, mais recentemente em 2015-16, a estrutura original foi construída em 1870. A família Parrs reflete as diferentes histórias de trabalho de famílias afro-americanas em Portland. John Parrs era o proprietário de vários prédios no India Street Neighbourhood e um marinheiro. Seu filho, Braxton, era marinheiro e, mais tarde, carteiro. Sua nora, Amelia, era cozinheira sazonal em Old Orchard Beach e uma das residentes mais antigas da Casa Parrs. Ela era originalmente da Geórgia e tem uma linhagem familiar obscura, talvez nascida na escravidão.

Bairro de Valley Street: Além do Bairro da India Street, a área da Valley Street era o lar de uma parte significativa da comunidade negra de Portland. Muitos na vizinhança trabalharam na Union Station (1888-1961) ou na Maine Central Railroad. Eles trabalharam como carregadores, cozinheiros e garçons nos trens de passageiros, como garçons, matronas, bonés vermelhos e botas na estação, ou como trilhos e transitários nos trens de carga. Muitas das casas existentes em Valley e A Street foram ocupadas por famílias negras de Portland. A História Negra Visível do Maine fornece mais informações sobre a história do bairro Valley Street. O livro apresenta a família Cummings que morava neste bairro e era conhecida, entre outras coisas, por sua longa e bem-sucedida carreira na ferrovia, começando com três irmãos na virada do século, Eddie, Tate e Leslie Cummings. Seus filhos e netos continuam a ser proeminentes no Maine como líderes na política, direitos civis e defesa dos marcos da história negra, incluindo a Abyssinian Meeting House.


Preservação Histórica

Em 1990, a cidade de Portland adotou uma lei de preservação histórica para reconhecer e preservar um dos principais ativos de Portland - sua rica coleção de arquitetura histórica e paisagens. A lei protege quase 2.000 propriedades em toda a cidade, em bairros tão diversos como Old Port, Stroudwater, Congress Street, West End e Fort McKinley na Great Diamond Island.

A intenção da portaria não é evitar mude, mas pensativamente gerenciar isso, para que o caráter único dessas áreas históricas seja mantido. As propriedades designadas são protegidas contra demolição e as alterações ou adições propostas são revisadas para garantir a compatibilidade com o projeto original da propriedade. As novas construções em distritos históricos designados também são revisadas para garantir uma relação respeitosa entre o novo e o antigo.

Hoje, o impacto da portaria é claro: preservar recursos históricos estabiliza bairros e faz sentido econômico. Uma caminhada ou carro por qualquer um dos onze distritos históricos de Portland revela mudanças emocionantes, à medida que mais e mais edifícios antigos são cuidadosamente reabilitados de acordo com os padrões de preservação histórica e novos edifícios compatíveis são absorvidos pela mistura.

No bairro de Parkside, por exemplo, ao longo de ruas antes marcadas por moradias degradadas e propriedade ausente, agora existem casas reformadas com ocupantes proprietários que se orgulham de suas propriedades e de sua vizinhança. Ao longo da Commercial Street, uma nova e empolgante arquitetura tomou seu lugar ao lado de armazéns restaurados do século 19, provando que os novos edifícios podem ser contemporâneos e compatíveis com as estruturas históricas. Em todo o sistema de parques históricos da cidade, planos diretores estão sendo desenvolvidos para garantir que as melhorias futuras respeitem os projetos originais dos parques. Todos esses projetos foram facilitados pelo programa de preservação histórica da cidade.

O sucesso deste importante programa depende do apoio e cooperação dos proprietários das propriedades históricas de Portland. Antes de empreender um projeto que afetará o exterior de seu prédio ou o terreno ao redor, leia as informações incluídas neste site e ligue para a equipe de preservação histórica do Departamento de Planejamento e Desenvolvimento para discutir seus planos. Eles estão preparados para ajudá-lo a encontrar soluções práticas e acessíveis que atendam às suas necessidades e aos padrões da ordenança.


História de Portland, Maine - História

História de Portland, Maine
A partir de
Um Gazetteer do
Estado do maine

Por Geo. J. Varney
Publicado por B. B. Russell, 57 Cornhill,
Boston 1886

Portland, eminente por suas instalações comerciais, pela saúde e beleza de sua situação e pelo empreendimento e urbanidade de seus cidadãos, ocupa o porto principal em Casco Bay, na parte sul do condado de Cumberland. Sendo o porto mais próximo na costa atlântica das cidades de St. Lawrence, e tendo um porto seguro e conveniente para os maiores vapores oceânicos, e aberto em todas as estações, ele naturalmente se tornou o principal porto marítimo dos Canadas, também como no oeste do Maine e nas partes do norte de New Hampshire e Vermont. Da cidade procedem as ferrovias Boston e Maine, Eastern e Portland e Rochester, atravessando os centros comerciais de New Hampshire e Massachusetts e conectando-se às estradas para todas as partes do continente. O Grand Trunk of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad desce pelas partes do norte de Vermont e New Hampshire até o cais dos navios a vapor oceânicos no porto de Portland. A ferrovia Portland e Ogdensburg, passando por cima. o vale do Saco, atravessando as Montanhas Brancas, passando por St. Johnsbury, Vt., e daí até o sopé do Lago Champlain, oferecerá uma rota ainda mais curta para o Canadá e o Grande Oeste. O Maine Central com suas ramificações, se conecta com a região central do Estado de Penobscot quase até os lagos Rangely em Bangor e se conecta com a ferrovia Piscataquis, e pelas ferrovias europeias e norte-americanas, com os sistemas de New Brunswick e Nova Scotia . Todas essas linhas são conectadas na cidade pela ferrovia marginal. Além das instalações ferroviárias, as linhas de barcos a vapor fornecem transporte aquático três vezes por semana para Nova York, diariamente para Boston, três vezes por semana para Bangor e portos intermediários, semanalmente para Mount Desert e Machias, quinzenal para Eastport e St. John , NB, e semestralmente para Halifax, NS, direto. A linha de navios a vapor Allan opera semanalmente entre Portland e Liverpool, de novembro a maio, proporcionando grandes facilidades de importação e exportação.

A maior parte das manufaturas líderes são produzidas na cidade ou em seus arredores, muitas delas em grandes quantidades e de excelência superior.

O valor médio das taxas cobradas na Alfândega de Portland nos últimos anos não está longe de US $ 900.000.

As indústrias especiais em que Portland supera todas as outras cidades são provavelmente as de provisões hermeticamente fechadas e de pesca e preservação de peixes em várias formas.

No negócio da pesca, cerca de uma dezena de firmas estão empenhadas na embalagem de cavala e arenque. Essas firmas, durante a temporada de 1880, embalaram um total de 80.500 barris de cavala e 13.300 barris de arenque. O valor de mercado deles é de pouco menos de US $ 500.000. O número de embarcações que se dedicam à pesca da cavala é de 162 na pesca do arenque, 75 perfazendo um total de 237 embarcações, cujas tripulações chegam a 3.345. Isso não inclui as pessoas empregadas na embalagem do pescado. Mais meia dúzia de empresas estão empenhadas na cura de bacalhau e outros peixes. Os três que fazem o maior negócio nestes, curaram-se na temporada que terminava em meados de outubro de 1880, 50.000 quintais. A cura é feita nas ilhas do porto. A House Island é utilizada para este fim há mais de 200 anos.

Portland is the smallest town in the State ia superficial area. A small peninsula jutting into the inner waters of Casco Bay, and 16 islands and parts of islands, lying at distances of from 3 to 10 miles down the bay constitute the territory of the city. This peninsula, or Neck, was called Machigonne by the Indians, which according to some means bad clay while others contend that its interpretation should be knee or elbow,-descriptive of the curving form of the peninsula. The names of the islands are Peak's, Long, Cushing's, House, Great and Little Diamond (or Hog), part of Crotch, part of Hope, Little Chebeague, Jewell's, Cow, Rain, Marsh, Overset, Crow, and Pumpkin Knob. Several of these islands are very picturesque and attractive, and 4 or 5 have hotels. The peninsula is about 3 miles long, with an average breadth of three-fourths of a mile. On the southerly side lies Cape Elizabeth, separated from Portland by an arm of the sea called Fore River, which constitutes the inner harbor. On the northerly side, is Back Cove and beyond is Peering. The peninsula has a mean elevation at the middle of more than 100 feet,-sloping gradually to the water on either side, except at the eastern and western extremities,-which rise in Munjoy's Hill at the east to the height of 161 feet and at the west, in Bramhall's Hill, to 175 feet,-ending here in a bold bluff. Munjoy's Hill affords delightful views of the waters of Casco Bay and its numerous islands, and of the ocean beyond. Bramhall commands a sea view, and a broad landscape of farm, forest and village, and beyond all, the great semicircle of the mountains. This configuration of the peninsula gives excellent drainage, while from its altitude it is bathed in the pure breezes from sea and shore, rendering it one of the most healthy cities on the globe. From end to end of the peninsula runs Congress street, the backbone of the city, 3 miles in length. Parallel with this on the east for a part of its length, are, first, Middle street, devoted chiefly to the dry goods trade second, Fore street, miscellaneous trade andthird, Commercial street, fronting the harbor, and occupied largely by wholesale traders in heavy goods of all sorts. On the western side, the streets are Cumberland second, Oxford and Portland third, Lincoln and Kennebec,-the last two running along the margin of Back Cove. The whole peninsula has above 226 streets, lanes and courts, aggregating a length of 48 miles while 29 wharves extend into the harbor, affording accommodation to vessels of every size and kind. Besides the lines of steam railways, already enumerated, there are 6 avenues for teams and foot passengers. There is also projected and partly built, a Marginal Way, 100 feet in width, running entirely around the city. Horse cars furnish easy transit between the depots of the different lines of steam cars, and the principal streets connecting also with the suburban villages of Deering Point, Woodford's Corner, and Morrill's Corner. The business of the city centres on the southerly slope below Congress street, near the middle of the peninsula. Munjoy's Hill is almost a village by itself of middle class residences, having its own churches, schools and shops. The northerly slope, back of Congress street, along its whole length, is devoted to private residences. The western end, rising gradually to the eminence of Bramhall, is the fashionable quarter and, having been spared by the great fire of 1866, now contains the oldest mansions, as well as many new and elegant edifices. A marked feature of Bramhall is the well-kept gardens and lawn surrounding the houses, and generally open to public view through open fences, or over low hedges, or guards of stone.

The slope under Bramhall toward Peering's Oaks, is now, also, becoming an inhabited place, and many handsome residences are already erected.

Portland has several excellent hotels,-the Falmouth, situated on Middle Street, being the largest. It is a magnificent structure containing 240 rooms, and 10 large stores. Its front is of Albert-stone, and its sile walls of pressed brick, with Albert-stone trimmings. The building of the first National Bank, near by, is a fine building of red-sandstone. A little farther down is the fine granite front of the Casco Bank building. The Maine Savings Bank has its rooms on the corner of Plum street. Over it is the St. Julian Hotel, a neat little house conducted on the European plan. A short distance beyond is the handsome red-freestone building of the Canal Bank. The oldest of the public houses of the city, recently enlarged and brought up to the requirement of the times, is the United States Hotel, on the eastern side of Market square, and occupying the space between Federal and Congress streets. In Stanton Block, on Exchange street, the Board of Trade has its head-quarters and here, also, is the Merchants' Exchange, with its reading-room. Close by is the elegant building of the Merchants' Bank. On the corner of Middle and Exchange streets is the Post-Office, an elegant building of Vermont marble, occupying a square by itself. Among its red brick neighbors, its chaste white walls and elegant architecture give it a somewhat ethereal look. Its cost was half a million of dollars. In the second story is the United States Court room and offices. A little further up on the same Street, is the fine block of the Portland Saving's Bank,-then the Printer's Exchange, where several papers are issued. On Congress street, at the head of Exchange, is the City Government Building, an imposing structure, having a frontage of 150 feet, a length of 221 feet, with corner towers 75 feet high, and a central dome tLat swells upward 160 feet. Its front is of a light-colored Nova Scotia Albert-stone, and the sides and rear of pressed brick with Albert-stone trimmings. Its cost was $650,000. In it, besides city and county rooms and offices, are the Public Library, containing 26,000 volumes, and the library of the Maine Historical Society. There are also two excellent halls in the building, the largest of which, an elegant apartment, will conveniently seat 2,500 people.

At the foot of Hancock street on the corner of Fore street, stands "the old square wooden house upon the edge of the sea," in which the poet Longfellow was born. Turning to Commercial street, a short walk brings us to the Custom house, a handsome structure of granite,-which also has a front on Fore street. On the opposite side of Commercial street, not far away, is the extensive and massive "Thomas Block," built by Hon. William W Thomas, one of the oldest and most successful merchants of Portland,-who has added beauty and value to the city by the erection of many elegant buildings.

The site of the first settlement in Portland is now occupied by the depot, the immense elevator, and other buildings of the Grand Trunk Railway. The settlers were George Cleeves and Richard Tucker, who here built their house, cleared land, and planted the first corn-in 1632. They were squatters at first but in 1637, Cleeves went to England and obtained from Sir Ferdinand Gorges, proprietor of this region, a grant of the peninsula on which they had built, and other neighboring lands and islands. These he parcelled out to settlers, and a small community soon grew up, and became known as Casco. Fishing, cultivation of the soil, and trade with the Indians, formed the business. in 1658, Massachusetts usurped the government of Gorges' territory, and applied the name Falmouth to Casco Neck, and a wide extent of territory about this harbor but the peninsula continued to be called Casco Neck until its incorporation as Portland in 1786. Falmouth at first embraced, in addition to the Neck, the territory now belonging to the towns of Cape Elizabeth, Peering, Westbrook and the present Falmouth. With incorporation came the settlement of a minister, and the people built the first meeting-house on the point now occupied by the Portland Company's works. The first minister was Rev. George Burroughs, a graduate of Harvard University, who began to preach there in 1674. When the town was destroye d by the Indians in 1690, he went to Danvers and two years afterwardhe was executed at Salem as a wizard. When the savages fell upon the place in 1676, of the 40 families in town, only four or five lived upon the Neck. In 1678 old settlers returned and Fort Loyal, the largest fortification on the coast, was erected on a rocky eminence where the round-house of the Grand Trunk Railway now stands. A party of Huguenots, or French Protestants, came in as settlers about this time. The town now began to prosper,-mills were set up, and roads were laid out,-mere footpaths, however, as no vehicles had yet been introduced. In 1681, the first tavern was opened. In 1688, the population of Falmouth had increased to 600 or 700, comprising 80 families, 25 of whom were on the Neck. In 1689, during the second Indian war, a large body of their warriors approached the town. Major Church, arriving with two companies just at the nick of time, met the Indians in the valley on the north side of Bramhall's Hill, and, after a sharp fight, drove them off losing in the contest eleven killed and ten wounded. The next year, 500 French and Indians, after a siege of five days, captured the fort, and carried the garrison captive to Canada.

From this time until after the close of Queen Anne's war in 1713, the place remained "deserted Casco." With its settlement in 1715, begins the second period of its history, which ends with its destruction by Mowatt in 1775. The new settlement was on nearly the same site as the old. In 1727, Rev. Thomas Smith commenced in the place his long ministry of over sixty-eight years.

In the course of half a century a great trade with the West Indies, as well as with England, sprang up so that on Nov. 1, 1766, six large ships were lying in the harbor. At the commencement of the Revolution, 2,555 tons of shipping were owned in what is now Portland: and the population was about 2,000. Its patriotism was then as prompt as has ever since been. No vantage was allowed for the enforeement of the Stamp Act the hated stamps being seized and burned as soon as they arrived and when the tax was placed upon tea, a popular assemblage resolved "that we will not buy nor sell any India tea whatever" and when the British government closed the port of Boston in 1774, the bell of Falmouth meeting-house was muffled and tolled from sunrise to sunset. Incensed by his capture and detention here in the previous spring by a party of militia from Brunswick, Capt. Henry Mowatt, in October, 1775, entered the harbor with a fleet of five war vessels, and on the 18th of that month, laid the town in ashes. The citizens nobly refused to give up their arms to secure the immunity of their village, but mostly fled into the country, taking with them what they could carry of there goods. Out of 514 buildings, only 100 dwelling-houses were left standing. Thus for the third time, the town was desolated. With the acknowledgment of our independence as a nation, a period of prosperity again began. There were not only business but social changes. "Distinctions of rank and of dress," says Elwell, "gave way before the democratic spirit of the times cocked hats, bush wigs, and breeches passed out, and pantaloons came in. Capt. Joseph Titcomb created quite a sensation when he returned home from the South, in 1790, wearing the latter form of the nether garment, the first seen here." In 1785, the first brick house in town was commenced, and the first newspaper appeared, the "Falmouth Gazette," published by Benjamin Titcomb and Thomas B. Waite. The same author previously quoted says, "In 1786, the town was divided, and the Neck, with the name of Portland, started on an independent career, with a population of about 2,000. In 1793, wharves were extended into the harbor. In 1795, Nathaniel Peering built the first brick store. In 1799, the first bank was incorporated. Trade advanced westward from the old site at the foot of India street, and in 1800, Exchange (then called Fish) street was the principal seat of business." Then the wealthier merchants began to build them more stately residences, fitted to the increasing refinement and the more lavish expenditure. Such are the Matthew Cobb house, still standing at the corner of High and Free streets the mansion built by Ebenezer Storer, on the corner of High and Danforth street that built by Joseph H. Ingraharn, on State street and the fine old mansion on the corner of High and Spring streets, long the residence of the late General Wingate all giving evidence of the architectural taste and thorough workmanship of the olden time.


The non-intercourse policy adopted by the general government in 1806, and the embargo which followed in 1807, brought a disastrous and sudden check to all this prosperity. "Navigation fell off 9,000 tons in two years and all the various classes to whom it gave support were thrown out of employment eleven commercial houses stopped payment in 1807, and many others the following year. * * * In the war of 1812, which followed, our sea-faring people manned the privateers fitted out here, some of which ran a successful career, and did great damage to the enemy, while others were soon captured by superior force, and their crews held as prisoners."

The fourth period in the history of Portland begins with the peace of 1815, and continues to the commencement of the railroad era in 1846. This was a period of slow recovery from the disasters of the war. In March 1820 the district of Maine was separated from Massachusetts and admitted into the Union as a State, and Portland became its capital. In 1823, the first steamer ever brought to Maine arrived in the harbor. This was the Patent, a vessel of about 100 tons burthen, owned by Capt. Seward Porter, of this city, who had bought her in New York to run as a passenger-boat between Boston and Portland.
Both Jonathan Morgan and Captain Porter had previously expert. mented with steamboats of their own construction the Kennebec, built by the latter in 1822, having been the first to run in Casco Bay. In 1833, the steamer Chancellor Livingston, built under the direction of Robert Fulton, ran between Portland and Boston and the Cumberland Steam Navigation Company, formed in the same year, put the steamer Commodore MeDonough on the route in opposition. The Cumberland and Oxford Canal connecting the waters of Lake Sebago with Portland Harbor, was begun in 1828, completed in 1830, at a cost of $206,000. This helped the business of the town somewhat yet the steamboats and the Portland, Saco and Portsmouth Railroad, opened in 1842, took much Portland business to Boston. A new railroad connecting with Boston diverted also to that city the trade of northern Vermont, which had previously come through the north of the White Mountains to Portland. The fifth period commenced with the opening of the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad to Canada, in 1853. To aid in its construction, Portland loaned its credit in bonds to the amount of $2,000,000. This Grand Trunk road brought the city in connection not only with the cities of Canada, but with the vast graingrowing regions of the West. Then came, as necessary adjuncts of the road, a winter line of steamers to Liverpool, and the construction of a new business avenue along the whole water front of the city, a mile long and 100 feet wide, running over tide water, across the heads of wharves. This is Commercial street, the scene of a large wholesale trade in flour, grain and groceries. Then came the building of the system of railroads, now consolidated under the name of the Maine Central, opening to the trade of Portland all parts of the State, and the Lower Provinces of Canada. Then Brown's Sugar House and the Portland Company's Works, and other Manufacturing establishments sprang up, giving employment to hundreds of people.

The financial panic of 1857-8 brought no serious disaster to the business of the city and trade had again attained to a flourishing condition, when the war of the Slaveholder's Rebellion broke out. Portland, as usual, was prompt to the demands of patriotism,-six companies of the First Maine regiment, Colonel Jackson, having been raised here. Later regiments organized in Portland were the 5th, 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 17th, and 25th. The latter was a nine-months regiment of Portland boys, led by Col. Francis Fessenden. In all, Portland contributed to the army and navy of the Union during the war, 5,000 men to whom she paid a bounty of $428,970. Of these, 421 lost their lives in battle, or by disease. Her citizens also contributed largely in aid of the sanitary and Christian commissions, and many of her noble women gave their services in nursing the sick and wounded.

One morning in June, 1863, the United States Revenue cutter Caleb Cushing, was missed from her moorings, and Revenue collector Jewett and Mayor MeLellan, promptly manning and arming the steamers Forest City and Chesapeake, found her in the hands of the rebels, becalmed near Green Islands. On discovering the approaching vessels, her captors set her on fire, and took to their boats. She presently blew up and the rebel crew were soon captured by the pursuing steamers, and lodged in Fort Preble, as prisoners of war. During the war, much shipping of Portland had been transferred to the British flag but the business of the city did not otherwise suffer much loss.

On the 4th of July, 1866, a carelessly thrown cracker set fire to a boat-builder's shop on Commercial street, whence the flames were soon communicated to Brown's Sugar House whence it swept on diagonally through the city, spreading like a fan as it went. Entire streets were swept away, includeing massive warehouses, lofty churches, splendid mansions, ancestral houses and the dwellings of the poor, in the oldest and most crowded parts of the city in one common ruin. For nearly half a day, and through the night until the small hours of the morning, the vast volumes of flame and smoke held sway, sending terror and anguish among the whole population. The fire ended near Munjoy's Hill. The morning saw fifteen hundred buildings laid in ashes fifty-eight streets and courts reduced to a wilderness of chimneys, amid which the most familiar inhabitant lost himself ten thousand people made homeless, and ten millions of property destroyed. Villages of tents and barracks sprang up on Munjoy, and generous contributions from abroad flowed in, providing food, shelter and clothing for the penniless.

In rebuilding, old streets were widened and straightened, and new ones opened and, after a lapse of ten years, the waste places were almost wholly rebuilt, far more roomy, convenient and handsome than before. Meantime the increase of the business facilities of the city went on. In 1873, the Boston and Maine Railroad was extended from South Berwick to Portland, taking on its way Old Orchard Beach. In 1875, the Portland and Rochester Railroad completed its connections with Nashua, N. H., and Worcester, Mass. The same year, the Portland and Ogdensburg Railroad was completed through the Notch of the White Mountains. In the same period, various manufactures sprang up within the city or in its vicinity, as the rolling of railroad iron, the making of carriages, shoes, matches, stoneware, and drainpipes and these products find a market all over the United States, and, to some extent, in foreign countries. In 1870, Lake Sebago water was introduced by aqueduct all through the city, and the sewerage rendered more complete. Broad and regular streets, handsome and substantial business blocks, elegant and commodious dwellings, good drainage well-lighted streets, pure water, excellent air, convenient conveyance in and out of the city, by horse and steam cars,-numerous shadetrees, unsurpassed views of sea and shore, good schools, well-attended churches, and a moral, industrious, enterprising and courteous people- these render Portland one of the most desirable of cities for a home and business. There are now living in the city a large number of persons over eighty years of age.

Among those who have contributed largely to make Portland what it is in these various respects, must be mentioned the following names: George Cleeves, a first settler and proprietor, and Rev. Thomas Smith, the first have already been mentioned. Not only was Mr. Smith for a long period, the only minister, hut also the only physician in town. Another distinguished citizen of the anti-Revolutionary period was General Jedediah Preble, who had served in the French wars, and at the breaking out of the Revolution, was prevented from being the principal military officer of Massachusetts only by the infirmities of years. Worthy of honorable mention, also, are Theophilus Bradbury and David Wyer, earliest members of Cumberland bar. Samuel Freeman, school-teacher, trader, and Revolutionary patriot, a deacon of the First Parish forty-five years, delegate to the Provincial Congress, Judge of Probate forty-five years, post-master twenty-eight years, president of the Maine Bank and president of Bowdoin College for a number of years, with other offices also the publisher of several law-books. About 1770, Theophilus Parsons, afterwards Chief Justice of Massachusetts, became a citizen, studied law, and was admitted to the Cumberland bar. Sheriff William Tyng, most prominent of the Maine Tories, was also a citizen of this town. A little later was Simon Greenleaf, distinguished as a member of the Cumberland bar, a learned jurist and writer on law Stephen Longfellow, father of the poet, long in the successful practice of the law in the Cumberland courts Prentiss Mellen, chief justice of the State Ezekiel Whitman, member of Congress for four terms, and chief justice of the Supreme Court of Maine Samuel Fessenden, the able lawyer, orator and philanthropist Albion K. Parris, Governor of the State at the age of thirty-three years, and long in successful practice here William Pitt Preble, a judge and Minister to the Netherlands Arthur Ware, a learned writer on Maritime law, and judge of the United States District Court for forty-four years Ether Shepley, long chief justice of the State George F. Shepley, son of Ether, a brave soldier, and later, judge of the United States Circuit Court, who died a few years after his father. Of orators and statesmen of national reputation, Sargent S. Prentiss though he won his reputation in the south-was born here and William Pitt Fessenden, the distinguished U. S. senator and secretary of the Treasury, was always a citizen of this town, lion. George Evans, another U. S. senator from Maine, was for some time a resident, as was also Hon. George T. Davis, a former member of Congress from Massachusetts, and Hon. Horatio King, acting Postmaster General for sometime. Other noted citizens were Commodore Edward Preble, hero of Tripoli Rear Admiral Alden, who served in the war of 1812, and in the Mexican war and Commodore George H. Preble, who has served long and well. Of literary men who were sons or residents, or both, are Henry W. Longfellow, N. P. Willis, John Neal, Nathaniel Peering, Isaac McLellan, Grenville Mellen, Bishop Horatio Southgate, S. B. Beckett, D. C. Colesworthy, Mrs. E. Oakes Smith, Mrs. Elizabeth Akers Allen, J. H. Ingraham, Seba Smith, Charles P. Ilsley, Rev. Elijah Kellogg, George Payson, William Law Symonds, Sarah Payson Willis (Fanny Fern), Mrs. Samuel Coleman, Mrs. Ann S. Stephens, Mrs. Elizabeth (Payson) Prentice, Mrs. Clara Barnes Martin, Mrs. Margaret J. M. Sweat, Prof. Edward S. Morse, Mrs. Abba Goold Woolson, Rev. Dr. Cyrus Bartol, Rev. Dr. J. W. Chickering, Rev. Dr. Samuel Deane, Rev. Dr. Thomas Hill, Rev. Dr. Ichabod Nichols, Rev. Dr. Edward Payson, Rev. Asa Cummings, Rev. W. T. Dwight, Rev. William B. Hayden, Rev. Jason Whitman, Dr. J. W. Mighells, Dr. Isaac Ray, Hon. William Goold, Hon. William Willis, Col. Z. A. Smith, Henry A. S. Dearborn, John A. Poor, William B. Sewall, Walter Wells, and many others. Of artists, Portland has been the residence of Charles Codman, Charles O. Cole, J. R. Tilton, Mrs. Elizabeth Murray, Charles E. Becket, J. G. Cloudman, Harry B. Brown, Frederick Kimball, Miss Maria Becket, John B. Hudson, Charles J. Schumacher, and others. Eminent names among Portland merchants who have passed away, are Matthew Cobb, Asa Clapp, William Chadwick, Albert Newhall, Joseph Cross, Ralph Cross, Arthur McLellan, James Peering, Benjamin Willis, Samuel Trask, Reuben Morton3 and. John B. Brown. [See notice of latter on page 611.]

Portland has eighteen church-edifices, including the cathedrals of the Episcopal and Roman Catholic denominations. There are also as many as twenty-five societies more or less benevolent in their objects, besides several others of an intellectual and social nature.

Portland has six National Banks, with an aggregate capital of $3,150,000. They are the First National Bank, and Casco National Bank, each with a capital of $800,000 Canal National Bank, having a capital of $600,000 Merchants' National Bank and National Trader's Bank, each having a capital of $300,000 and the Cumberland National Bank, with a capital of $250,000. The Maine Savings Bank, in Portland, on the 1st of November, 1880, held in deposits and profits, the sum of $3,181,195.45 and the Portland Savings Bank, at the same date, held $4,480,770.32.

Portland has three daily papers, all well sustained. The Argus-ancient and respectable, and always fresh, bright, readable and democratic the Press, a reliable Republican sheet, always elegant and honorable the Advertiser, the oldest daily paper in the city, but at present, the most concise Republican in politics, but independent in its views. The Portland Sunday Times, is a lively secular weekly, devoted largely to social matters. It is independent in politics. The Morning News is a spirited journal, devoted to reform It is Greenback in politics, but generally independent in its views. Zion's Advocate, an organ of the Baptists, is an excellent denominational paper. The Christian Mirror, the organ of the Congregationalists in Maine, is ably edited, and wholly worthy of its patronage. The Portland Transcript, known to every Maine family, is unsurpassed in its field by any newspaper in the country. The North-East, published monthly, is the organ of the Episcopal church in Maine. The Masonic Token, issued quarterly, by Stephen Berry, is devoted to masonry, and would consequently be very useful to every member of that order. The Helping Hand, a monthly, Published by the Young Men's Christian Association, is well adapted to a worthy purpose. Our Home and Fireside Magazine, published monthly and Saturday by H. Hal-. lett & Co., is devoted almost wholly to stories. The People's Illustrated Journal and The Illustrated Household Magazine, published monthly, by Geo. Stinson & Co., are of the same class and of equal rank. The Globe, published every Saturday, is devoted to local news. The Portland Price Current, issued every Saturday, by M. N. Rich, is a sine qua non to the merchants of the city and its neighborhood. The City Item is a lively little daily, devoted to news. It is Greenback in its politics. The Floral Monthly, issued by W. E. Morton & Co., is a very desirable publication to all cultivators of flowers.


Museums & Historic Sites

History comes alive in Greater Portland—where everything from colonial homes to maritime museums are on display. Museum homes invite visitors to step back in time and gain a greater perspective and respect for the historic forces that continue to influence our lives.

Variety of interactive exhibits & activities for children and families inspiring discovery and imagination.

A popular destination for visitors from all over the world. Gardens open year-round. Cafe & Shop open seasonally.

Hear the mysterious, amazing and amusing inside stories as you explore history and architectural treasures.

Travel back in time to vintage Vacationland. Group tours welcome and available any day by reservation.

Offers a nationally recognized collection of American art in its elegantly appointed galleries in beautiful Rockland.

Tour a former United States military fort built from 1858 to 1864. The fort is now a park, accessible only by boat.

Features innovative exhibitions and public programs that showcase new perspectives and trends in contemporary art.

3rd oldest historical society in U.S. comprised of the Longfellow House, the Brown Library, the Museum & Shop.

Beautiful historic building completed in 1892. Genealogy Research, Library, Heritage Trail, Museum and Archives.

Exhibits, lighthouse & nature cruises, kids' pirate ship, demos, family activities, hands-on fun for everyone.

Scenic train ride along beautiful Casco Bay. Activities, historic railroad cars & exhibits.

Located in the lighthouse keepers' quarters, the museum chronicles the oldest lighthouse in Maine.

Features an operating collection of antique aircraft, automobiles, airplane shows, and more.

The PMA boasts significant holdings of American, European, and contemporary art, as well as iconic works from Maine.

Experience a connection to the past by visiting the world's oldest and largest museum of public transportation.

Explore galaxies, atoms, cells & the sea in our subterranean star dome. We offer shows, classes, & more.

Dedicated to the preservation of Portland’s Eastern Cemetery through activities like walking tours and ongoing education.

This Georgian house connects people to colonial roots and helps discover the relevance of history to our lives.

One of the country's historic homes of the mid-Victorian period, open May through October for tours.


Historic Homes

Those interested in a glimpse of the striking interiors and fine architecture of Greater Portland’s historic homes will find them walking the city’s residential streets, in the Victorian district of the restored commercial buildings in the Old Port, and in the adjacent neighborhoods.

Our region prides itself on constant attention to landmark preservation and revitalization. This deeply-rooted community appreciation of our heritage and historical sites has made the region a destination for both advanced and passive history sightseers.

historical homes have been preserved and have opened their doors to visitors wanting a more intimate view of the lives and living spaces of a bygone age.

Historic Home, Photo Credit: Corey Templeton

Visitors will discover the wonders of a colonial times in a captain’s home – the only pre-Revolutionary home in the city, enjoy guided tours of the home of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and enter into the grandeur of the mid-Victorian period by touring a downtown mansion, filled with original furnishings and exquisitely decorated during the holiday season.

Want to find more historic homes and sites in the area? Check out our list below


History of Old Port along Waterfront in Portland, Maine

The Abenaki Native Americans lived here for millenniums before Portuguese explorer Estêvão Gomez’s discovery in 1524. The next European visitor was Englishman Captain John Smith in 1614. The first of several attempts at settlement began in 1623. In 1786, the town of Portland was established. A key to growth was maritime trade because this is the closest U.S. port to Europe. The harbor’s success accelerated in 1820 when the city became the capital of the new state of Maine. A further boom occurred after 1853. That is when a railroad was connected to Montreal. Portland rapidly became the winter port serving Canada when other harbors in Atlantic Canada and the St. Lawrence River were icebound. After the 1920s, shipments at the wharfs declined and the area deteriorated. In the 1980s, a rebirth began along the waterfront and the Old Port neighborhood. That is what you are experiencing today: a blend of the historic and the new all facing Portland’s Harbor. Most of the vessels you will see are cruise ships, sightseeing tours and lobster boats like those shown here.

86 Commercial St, Portland, ME 04101

Welcome! Encircle Photos is your free travel resource for finding top places to see worldwide. This visual library includes travel guides showing major landmarks with descriptions, maps and addresses. Also explore the world daily with free emails and on Facebook. They feature a different city a week with one photo a day. Let travel photographer Dick Ebert show you the world!


Learn about our contributing partners, and how to become one.

Copyright ©2000-2021 Maine Historical Society, All Rights Reserved.

Many images on this website are for sale on VintageMaineImages.com.

Maine Memory Network is a project of the Maine Historical Society. Except for classroom educational use, images and content may not be reproduced without permission. See Terms of Use.


Notas

Addeddate 2014-12-16 13:36:35.586128 Bookplateleaf 0005 Call number 31833011876254 Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark II External-identifier urn:oclc:record:1046523209 Foldout_seconds 770 Foldoutcount 4 Identifier historyofportlan1632will Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3rv3m58r Invoice 11 Lccn a 14002451 Ocr ABBYY FineReader 9.0 Page-progression lr Pages 966 Ppi 500 Scandate 20141218142730 Scanner scribe2.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana


Assista o vídeo: Portland, Maine Vacation Travel Guide. Expedia (Pode 2022).